Search the NTRA.com biography database for complete bio listings:
NOTE: Stats include North American and selected international races. Click here to view selected international race list.
Stats Updated Through: 3/4/2010
|Win % (In-The-Money %)|
Biography and Highlights:
- Owner(s): Joan Winchell and Ron Winchell
- Born: Joan, Sept. 22, 1942; Ron, March 29, 1972
- Residence: Las Vegas, Nev.
- One year after winning their first Breeders’ Cup race with Tapizar in the Dirt Mile, the Winchell family hopes to return to the winner’s circle with juvenile filly Untapable, who is a perfect two-for-two, including a win in the Pocahontas Stakes (G2) at Churchill. Also have a potential Juvenile candidate in Tapiture, who finished third in the Grade 3 Iroquois Stakes (G3) in September after a second-place effort in his first start. Both juveniles are by their stallion Tapit.
- The Dirt Mile was Tapizar’s first Grade 1 victory. He previously won the San Fernando (G2) and at age three he won the Sham Stakes (G3). He was retired to stand stud at Gainesway beginning in 2013.
- The Winchells were represented in the 2012 Kentucky Derby by Sabercat, winner of the Delta Jackpot Stakes (G3). The son of Bluegrass Cat finished third in the Arkansas Derby and was 15th in the first leg of the Triple Crown ... Their other Derby starters were Classic Go Go, 4th in 1981; Valiant Nature, 13th in 1994; Tapit, 9th in 2004; Zanjero, 12th in 2007 and Pyro, 8th in 2008.
- Winchell Thoroughbreds bred Paddy O’Prado, fifth place finisher in the 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic. Prior to the Classic he won the Secretariat Stakes (G1), Virginia Derby (G2), Colonial Turf Cup Stakes (G2), and Palm Beach Stakes (G3) ... Although Paddy O’Prado’s major victories came on turf, he also finished third in the Kentucky Derby (G1) ... Paddy O'Prado was retired in May 2011 after sustaining a sesamoid injury while winning the Dixie Stakes (G2) at Pimlico.
- Campaigned 2004 Wood Memorial (G1) winner Tapit, now one of the leading stallions standing at Gainesway Farm. ... Among his many stakes winners, Tapit is the sire of 2011 Breeders' Cup Juvenile winner and champion Hansen, who was recently retired due to injury, as well as 2008 Juvenile Fillies victor Stardom Bound ...The Winchells still support Tapit as a stallion. On Sept. 20, 2010, Ron Winchell purchased that day’s session topper at the Keeneland September yearling sale, a $450,000 Tapit colt and on July 13, 2011 paid $300,000 for a Tapit filly at the Fasig-Tipton July Yearling sale. It was the second-highest price paid at the sale.
- In 2009, the Winchell-bred Pyro won the Forego Stakes (G1) for Godolphin. He would go on to finish 10th in that year's Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile and now stands at Darley Japan. The Winchells bred and raced Pyro through his 3-year-old season before selling him privately to Godolphin ... Among his highlights for his breeders was his second-place finish to War Pass in the 2007 Breeders' Cup Juvenile and victory in the 2008 Louisiana Derby (G2) ... His last start for the Winchells came in the 2008 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile, where he finished sixth.
- Winchell Thoroughbreds raced 2005 Kentucky Oaks winner Summerly, a $410,000 Keeneland September yearling purchase. They sold her as a broodmare for $3.3 million at the 2006 Fasig-Tipton November select mixed sale, the second-highest price at the sale ... In partnership with Spendthrift Farm, raced the Verne Winchell-bred Grade 1 winner Cuvee, 12th in the 2003 Breeders' Cup Juvenile and 13th in the 2004 Sprint.
- The Winchells own Corinthia Farm near Lexington. They renamed the former Oakwind Farm, which was started by Verne Winchell, after a house that was built on the property in 1854 ... Racing manager and farm manager David Fiske has worked for the Winchell family for 30 years.
- Winchell Thoroughbreds is a partnership of Joan Winchell and her son, Ron, who are continuing the racing operation started by the late Verne H. Winchell, Joan's husband and Ron's father ... The elder Winchell, who died at age 87 in 2002, founded the donut company Winchell's in 1948 and later was CEO and chairman of Denny's restaurants. He bred and raced champions Mira Femme and Tight Spot (the latter raced in partnership) ... His other top horses include Donut King, Olympio, Sea Cadet, Fleet Renee and Valiant Nature.
- Verne Winchell raced On Target, fourth in the 1994 Breeders' Cup Juvenile and Exetera, seventh in the 1995 Juvenile ... Tight Spot finished in a dead heat for ninth in the 1991 Breeders' Cup Mile.
- Ron Winchell is involved in gaming bars/restaurants, construction and real estate development.
Breeders' Cup Record
|1991||Mile||Tight Spot (in partnership)||9th (DH)|
|2003||Juvenile||Cuvee (in partnership)||12th|
|2004||Sprint||Cuvee (in partnership)||13th|
Biographies on jockeys, trainers and owners are from the Breeders' Cup World Championships events from 2001 through 2009, and are intended as informational resources. Biographies will be updated if an individual is again a participant in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Biographies are available for most horses appearing in the top 100 money earnings list, and/or for those who are frequently making headlines in the news starting with the 2006 Triple Crown season.