Search the NTRA.com biography database for complete bio listings:
NOTE: Stats include North American and selected international races. Click here to view selected international race list.
Biography, Highlights and Media:
- Height: 5'5"
- Weight: 108
- Born: July 15, 1983 in Senlis, France
- Residence: Duarte, Calif.
- Family: Wife Shea, daughter of Southern California-based trainer Mike Mitchell.
- Has won five Breeders’ Cup races, including three in 2009 – the Filly and Mare Sprint with Informed Decision, Dirt Mile with Furthest Land, and the Juvenile Fillies with She Be Wild. That earned him the Shoemaker Award, as he was only the second jockey in history to win three Breeders' Cup races on a single card. Garrett Gomez is the other ... In 2012, best finish from five mounts was a second in the Filly and Mare Sprint with Dust and Diamonds.
- Best mounts in 2013 have been Tamarando, Sweet Lulu, Discreet Marq, Tiz Flirtatious, Stephanie’s Kitten, Successful Dan, Winning Cause, Java’s War and Centre Court.
- Leparoux won his 300th race at Keeneland right after scoring his 299th at the Lexington oval on Oct. 25, 2012. Only five jockeys have attained this milestone, but Leparoux did it at only 29 years old.
- After winning seven races in the first two days of the fall 2011 Keeneland meeting, Leparoux added an eighth win on the third day before he was thrown over the rail when his mount in the Bourbon Stakes (G3), Here Comes Frazier, spooked and bounced off the inner rail. He rode the next race, but his injured right hand continued to show soreness, although without a fracture or tendon tear, so he took off all eight scheduled mounts on the Oct. 12 Keeneland card.
- Moved his tack to California to ride full time following the 2012 Breeders' Cup ... Married Shea Mitchell, daughter of Southern California-based trainer Mike Mitchell in Dec. 2012.
- Top mounts in 2010 included champion Informed Decision; Grade 1 winners Karelian, My Jen, and Warrior’s Reward; graded stakes winners Kathmanblu, Dancinginherdreams, Successful Dan, Maybesomaybenot, Awesome Act, Silver Timber, Nordic Truce, Amen Hallelujah, Check the Label, Buckleupbuttercup, Custom for Carlos, Rogue Romance, and Rainbow View
- Involved in a spill in the Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (G2) at Pimlico Race Course on May 14, 2010, but rode Pleasant Prince to finish 11th in the Preakness Stakes the following afternoon ... A few days later, he was diagnosed with a vertebrae compression fracture that sent him to the sidelines for several weeks ... Rode sparingly before returning to action full time in mid-July at the start of the Saratoga Race Course meeting where he finished fourth in the jockey standings.
- Became just the fourth jockey in history to win Eclipse Awards as an apprentice and journeyman when he won the 2009 Eclipse Award after earning the honor in 2006 ... The only other three with the rare double are Steve Cauthen, Kent Desoromeaux, and Chris McCarron, who are all in Racing’s Hall of Fame.
- On Nov. 11, 2008, he rode seven winners on a single card at Churchill Downs, tying the record set by Pat Day 24 years before, on June 20, 1984. A year earlier, on June 27, 2007, Leparoux rode six winners on a single card at Churchill Downs, tying five other jockeys for the feat.
- The son of former jockey-turned-trainer Robert Leparoux, he grew up around racing in Chantilly, France, and rode competitive hunter/jumpers until his father allowed him to begin a racing career at age 18. He said he knew he wanted to be a jockey from the time he was five ... Father passed away in 2003 ... Went to Southern California in Jan. 2003 to work as an exercise rider for trainer Patrick Biancone. As Leparoux’s riding talents became evident, Biancone made Leparoux his first-call rider ... Leparoux’s agent since the beginning of his career has been former jockey Steve Bass.
- Owns riding titles at Turfway Park (shattered record for victories during the 2006 winter-spring and fall meets), Churchill Downs (first bug boy to do so since 1949, and also has won as a journeyman), and Keeneland (first apprentice in history to earn a title at the Lexington oval, and won his sixth riding title there in the fall of 2010).
- Was involved in a dramatic spill during Keeneland’s 2006 spring meeting in which he was tossed over the rail just a few yards before the finish line ... Neither he nor his mount were injured and the moment was captured in a photograph that earned a media Eclipse Award.
- Launched his career at Saratoga in 2005 and his first win came there aboard Easter Guardian on Aug. 18.
- First stakes victory was on Feb. 11, 2006 at Turfway aboard Cat Quatorze in the Likely Exchange ... Earned his first Grade 1 victory on Aug. 12, 2006 aboard Gorella in the Beverly D. at Arlington Park.
Breeders' Cup Record
| ||Filly & Mare Turf||Mauralakana (Fr)||7th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Her Majesty||13th|
| ||Mile||Gorella (Fr)||7th|
|2007||Filly & Mare Sprint||La Traviata||6th|
| ||Filly & Mare Turf||Danzon||10th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Irish Smoke||12th|
| ||Juvenile Turf||Nownownow||1st|
| ||Turf||Shamdinan (Fr)||2nd|
|2008||Filly & Mare Turf||Forever Together||1st|
| ||Juvenile Turf||Ninth Client||9th|
| ||Dirt Mile||Furthest Land||1st|
| ||Filly & Mare Sprint||Informed Decision||1st|
| ||Filly & Mare Turf||Forever Together||3rd|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||She Be Wild||1st|
| ||Juvenile Fillies Turf||Lisa's Kitten||10th|
| ||Juvenile Turf||Becky's Kitten||9th|
| ||Ladies' Classic||Rainbow View||5th|
| ||Turf||Red Rocks (Ire)||5th|
| ||Turf Sprint||Silver Timber||6th|
| ||Dirt Mile||Cool Coal Man||4th|
| ||Filly & Mare Sprint||Informed Decision||7th|
| ||Juvenile||Rogue Romance||3rd|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Harlan's Ruby||8th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies Turf||Kathmanblu||3rd|
| ||Ladies' Classic||It's Tea Time||4th|
| ||Marathon||Gabriel's Hill||3rd|
| ||Mile||Society's Chairman||9th|
| ||Sprint||Warrior's Reward||5th|
| ||Turf||Al khali||7th|
| ||Turf Sprint||Silver Timber||5th|
| ||Filly & Mare Turf||Aruna||5th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies Turf||Customer Base||11th|
| ||Juvenile Turf||Daddy Nose Best||6th|
| ||Turf||Await the Dawn||7th|
| ||Turf Sprint||Camp Victory||7th|
|2012||Filly & Mare Sprint||Dust and Diamonds||2nd|
| ||Juvenile Turf||Balance the Books||3rd|
| ||Sprint||Sum of the Parts||4th|
| ||Turf||Kindergarten Kid||6th|
| ||Turf Sprint||Camp Victory||11th|
Biographies on jockeys, trainers and owners are from the Breeders' Cup World Championships events from 2001 through 2009, and are intended as informational resources. Biographies will be updated if an individual is again a participant in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Biographies are available for most horses appearing in the top 100 money earnings list, and/or for those who are frequently making headlines in the news starting with the 2006 Triple Crown season.