- Born: April 21, 1925, in Haughton, La. ... Mr. Franks died Dec. 31, 2003, in Shreveport, La.
- Family: Survived by wife Alta, daughters Jeannie and Karen; six grandchildren
- Education: Graduated from Louisiana State University with a degree in geology
- Professional Background: In 1962, he founded Franks Petroleum, Inc., an oil and gas company
- Racing Career: With farms in Louisiana and Ocala, Fla., Franks had about 600 horses at the time of his death, including around 130 horses in training at various racetracks ... Began his Thoroughbred empire with the purchase of three mares in foal for $3,400 in 1976; in 1979, he made his first purchase at auction ... Franks won a record four Eclipse Awards as leading owner in 1983, 1984, 1993, and 1994 ... Another Eclipse Award won by 1998 Champion 2-year-old Answer Lively, winner of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile that year ... In 1994, Franks led all owners in number of wins (193) and money earned with $4,518,088 ... In 1993, Franks was the leading owner by money won with $5,682,786 and leading owner in stakes money won with $3,567,607 and in stakes races won with 32. He also was the leading breeder in races won (541) and money won ($6,485,545) ... Leading owner by races won seven times (1983-84, 1986-89, 1994) ... Bred and/or raced over a dozen millionaires including Dave's Friend, Stalwars, Heatherten, Homebuilder, Lively One, Sharp Cat, Royal Anthem, Kissin Kris, Halo America, Zippersup, Lady Tak and Littlebitlively ... Franks has bred more than 100 stakes winners and raced 180 stakes winners (including 57 homebreds) ... Franks bred both Sharp Cat and Royal Anthem from his mare, In Neon (by Ack Ack), who was voted Broodmare of the Year in 1998.