Horse Racing

 
NTRA Online Login | Sign-Up

 
NTRAU

Search the NTRA.com biography database for complete bio listings:


Browse:   A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z


Midnight Cry Stable
  
Stats Updated Through: 5/30/2006
2006 Stats:
Starts
NA
NA
NA
Earnings (Rank)
NA
Win % (In-The-Money %)
NA

In The News:

  MORE
 Biography and Highlights:  
  • Owner(s): William Gallion and Shirley Cunningham Jr.
  • Born: Gallion, 56, born in Ashland, Ky.; Cunningham, 52, born in Cadiz, Ky.
  • Residence: Gallion, Sanibel Island, Fla. and Nicholasville, Ky.; Cunningham, Georgetown, Ky. and Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
  • Education: Gallion graduated from the University of Kentucky Law School in 1976, while Cunningham graduated from UK Law School in 1980
  • Professional Background: Gallion and Cunningham had their law licenses suspended in August 2006 by the Kentucky Supreme Court pending the outcome of an investigation by the Kentucky Bar Association into possible misconduct in the class-action fen-phen (anti-obesity medications) lawsuit that they won in 2001 and which resulted in a $200 million settlement for 400 clients. A civil suit against Gallion, Cunningham and a third lawyer resulted in a $42 million (plus $20.1 million in interest) judgment against them, and in August, a judge ordered the three men jailed pending a hearing for the lawyers to provide financial reports regarding how the settlement money was distributed ... A criminal trial date for the case has been pushed back to May 12, 2008 ... Both men are currently incarcerated at the Boone County, Ky. jail ... In the meantime, a motion has been filed on behalf of 418 plaintiffs to seek control of the 20 percent of Curlin that Midnight Cry owns 
  • Racing Background: Gallion and Cunningham entered racing in 2000 by purchasing yearlings individually and established horses in various partnerships ... They won their first race at Saratoga in 2002 with the filly Midnight Cry, named by Cunningham for an old Baptist hymn ... She became a graded stakes winner, but broke down and was euthanized while training up to the Kentucky Oaks, after which the stable name was dedicated to her ... Cunningham owns Hillcrest Farm, a 135-acre horse farm near Georgetown, Ky.
  • Racing Career: Midnight Cry purchased Curlin as a yearling for $57,000 on the advice of Ken McPeek. The son of Smart Strike was named after Charlie Curlin, a slave who fought for the Confederate Army in the Civil War, and was the great-grandfather of Shirley Cunningham ... Midnight Cry retained 20 percent, but sold the other 80 percent interest in Curlin to Stonestreet Stables, Padua Stables and George Bolton for a reported $3.5 million following his maiden win at Gulfstream Park in February 2007 ... The winner of the Preakness also won the Jockey Club Gold Cup on Sept. 30 and went on to dominate his foes in the Breeders' Cup Classic and win dual Eclipse honors in 2007 as outstanding 3-year-old and Horse of the Year ... By 2008, Jess Jackson of Stonestreet Stables had bought out Padua and Bolton to own 80 percent, while Midnight Cry still kept 20 percent ... Ken McPeek also purchased Einstein and six other yearlings in Brazil for Midnight Cry. Einstein (Brz) was the winner of the 2006 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Turf Stakes and the 2007 Mervin Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap ... While McPeek was acting as bloodstock agent, Midnight Cry Stable's horses were in training with Helen Pitts, including Gatorize, the stable's only previous Breeders' Cup starter. She finished off the board in the 2006 Juvenile Fillies 
  • Breeding/Racing Operation: The partners have more recently entered the breeding end of the business and keep a broodmare band at Cunningham's farm.

NOTE: Stats include North American and selected international races. Click here to view selected international race list.

Biographies on jockeys, trainers and owners are from the Breeders' Cup World Championships events from 2001 through 2009, and are intended as informational resources. Biographies will be updated if an individual is again a participant in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.

Biographies are available for most horses appearing in the top 100 money earnings list, and/or for those who are frequently making headlines in the news starting with the 2006 Triple Crown season.


 








Privacy Policy