Search the NTRA.com biography database for complete bio listings:
NOTE: Stats include North American and selected international races. Click here to view selected international race list.
Biography, Highlights and Media:
- Born: Jan. 13, 1953, Nogales, Ariz.
- Residence: Arcadia and Del Mar, Calif.
- Family: wife Jill, sons Bode, Taylor, Canyon and Forest and daughter Savannah.
- Web site: www.bobbaffert.com
- Baffert is fifth in Breeders’ Cup earnings with $12,370,000 and a record of 8-11-3 … He has won the Sprint three times, twice with champion Midnight Lute (2007-08) and once with Thirty Slews (1992), the Juvenile Fillies twice with eventual champions Indian Blessing (2007) and Silverbulletday (1998), the Juvenile twice with Vindication in 2002 and Midshipman (2008), and the inaugural Juvenile Sprint with Secret Circle (2011) ... He experienced one of his most disappointing Breeders' Cups in 2012 when out of his 10 starters, the best performance was a second by Executiveprivilege in the Juvenile Fillies.
- Four times Baffert has won two legs of the Triple Crown: with Hall of Fame member Silver Charm (1997 Kentucky Derby and Preakness), Real Quiet (1998 Kentucky Derby and Preakness), Hall of Fame member Point Given (2001 Preakness and Belmont) and War Emblem (2002 Kentucky Derby and Preakness) … He won a fifth Preakness with champion Lookin At Lucky in 2010, tying him for third with T.J. Healey, one behind D. Wayne Lukas and two behind leader R.W. Walden.
- In 2012, he ran second in all three legs, with Bodemeister in the Derby and Preakness and with Paynter in the Belmont.
- With Paynter in 2012, Baffert won his sixth Haskell Invitational (G1) at Monmouth to break his own record. Paynter returned to victory in 2013 after a life-threatening illness. Baffert’s earlier Haskell winners were Coil in 2011, Lookin At Lucky in 2010, Roman Ruler in 2005, War Emblem in 2002 and Point Given in 2001.
- In 2013, Game On Dude became the second horse to win the Santa Anita Handicap (G1), Hollywood Gold Cup (G1), and Pacific Classic (G1) in the same year, joining Lava Man, who did it in 2006. Game On Dude earned a “Win and You’re In” berth to the Breeders’ Cup Classic with his Pacific Classic victory.
- In addition to Game On Dude's win in the Pacific Classic, Baffert has had two other horses earn Breeders' Cup berths by taking a "Win and Your In" race. Fed Biz earned a trip to the Dirt Mile with a victory in the Pat O’Brien Stakes (G1) and Book Review reserved a spot in the Filly & Mare Sprint by winning the A Gleam Handicap (G2) ... Baffert has also won graded stakes in 2013 with Midnight Lucky, Fiftyshadesofhay, Fast Bullet, Liaison, Shakin It Up, Flashback, Guilt Trip, Coil, Govenor Charlie, Sky Kingdom, Code West, and Super Ninety Nine.
- Game on Dude's Gold Cup victory was Baffert’s third consecutive win in the race, following Game On Dude in 2012 and the trainer’s one-two finish in 2011 with First Dude and Game On Dude. Baffert earlier won the Gold Cup in 2002 with Congaree and in 1999 with Real Quiet. Game On Dude also won the Santa Anita Handicap in 2011, and Baffert earlier won the race with Misremembered in 2010 and General Challenge in 2000. Baffert has won three other Pacific Classics (two with Richard’s Kid and one with General Challenge).
- Has won a record 11 runnings of the Del Mar Futurity (G1), the most recent in 2012 with Rolling Fog. That victory also gave Baffert 102 stakes wins at Del Mar, the most of any trainer. He extended that record to 105 in 2013 by adding the Pacific Classic, Pat O’Brien S (G2) with Fed Biz, and Fleet Treat S. with Sweet Marini.
- At Oaklawn Park in 2013, Baffert continued to dominate the track's 3-year-old races with his second straight victory in the Southwest Stakes with Super Ninety Nine. In 2012, he won the Arkansas Derby (G1) with Bodemeister, Rebel S. (G2) with Secret Circle and both divisions of the Southwest S. (G3) with Castaway and Secret Circle.
- In 2012, Baffert suffered a heart attack in Dubai after traveling there to run Game On Dude in the Dubai World Cup (G1). He had three stents inserted during a procedure in Dubai after doctors discovered that two arteries were blocked. Baffert sent a 13-second video of himself from his hospital bed in Dubai to Daily Racing Form. He returned to the United States several days later and quickly recovered.
- Won 2011 Kentucky Oaks (G1) with Plum Pretty, his second win in the race following Hall of Fame member Silverbulletday’s victory in 1999.
- Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2009 in just his second year of eligibility.
- Eclipse Awards as Outstanding Trainer: 1999, 1998, and 1997 … Led in national earnings four straight years, from 1998-2001. Was second only to Todd Pletcher in 2012. Through early Sept. 2013, he also was ranked second to Pletcher in earnings.
- Eclipse Award Champions (11 horses winning 14 titles): Lookin At Lucky, Midshipman, Indian Blessing, Midnight Lute, Chilukki, Point Given, Real Quiet, Silverbulletday, Silver Charm, Vindication and War Emblem … Point Given was named Horse of the Year in 2001.
- Won the 2011 Santa Anita Derby (G1) with Midnight Interlude, becoming the first trainer in more than half a century to win both the Santa Anita Derby and Santa Anita Handicap in one year … Also won the Santa Anita Derby in 2009 with Pioneerof the Nile, 2001 with Point Given, 1999 with General Challenge, 1998 with Indian Charlie and 1996 with Cavonnier.
- At the 2012-13 Santa Anita winter meeting, Baffert won a record 11th training title, having also led trainers at the 2012 Santa Anita autumn meeting … Won his third Hollywood fall title in 2013 following titles in 2001 and 1999 and his second consecutive Hollywood spring/summer title in 2012 … Leading trainer at the Oak Tree Racing Association meeting in 1997, 1998, 1999, 2009 and 2010 (the first four at Santa Anita and the fifth at Hollywood) … Won seven consecutive titles at Del Mar, from 1997-2003.
- Received the 1997 Mr. Fitz Award from the National Turf Writers Association and the 1997 Big Sport of Turfdom Award from the Turf Publicists of America.
- Won the Dubai World Cup (G1) twice: in 1998 with Silver Charm and in 2001 with Captain Steve.
- Trained four Quarter Horse champions, including 1986 world champion Gold Coast Express, after beginning his Quarter Horse training career at Rillito Downs in Tucson and then moving to Los Alamitos in 1983 ... Won the Champion of Champions at Los Alamitos in 1986 with Gold Coast Express and in 1988 with Shawnee’s Favorite … Made transition to Thoroughbreds during the late 1980s, mostly due to the encouragement of owners Mike Pegram and Hal Earnhardt. He gave up his Quarter Horse division in 1991 after recording a stakes triple in the California Cup during the Oak Tree meet at Santa Anita.
- The fourth of seven children, Baffert grew up on an Arizona cattle ranch near the Mexican border and got started in the horse business grooming and galloping Quarter Horses owned by his father … After graduating from high school in 1971, took a year to pursue his dream of becoming a jockey. He won 30 races, but grew tired of trying to maintain jockey weight, so he enrolled in the University of Arizona's Racetrack Industry Program.
Breeders' Cup Record
|1991||Juvenile Fillies||Soviet Sojourn||11th|
| ||Sprint||Criollito (Arg)||12th|
| ||Juvenile||Souvenir Copy||7th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Marie J||4th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Vivid Angel||6th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Excellent Meeting||2nd|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Silverbulletday||1st|
| ||Classic||River Keen (Ire)||11th|
| ||Juvenile||Captain Steve||11th|
| ||Juvenile||Forest Camp||6th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Chilukki||2nd|
| ||Mile||Tuzla (Fr)||2nd|
| ||Filly & Mare Turf||Caffe Latte (Ire)||9th|
| ||Juvenile||Arabian Light||5th|
| ||Juvenile||Flame Thrower||8th|
| ||Juvenile||Point Given ||2nd|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Notable Career||5th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Habibti||7th|
| ||Sprint||El Corredor||12th|
| ||Juvenile||Bull Market||4th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Atlantic Ocean||9th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Composure||2nd|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Santa Catarina||3rd|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Class Above ||7th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Victory U. S. A.||3rd|
|2005||Juvenile Fillies||Diamond Omi||10th|
| ||Sprint||Too Much Bling||6th|
|2007||Distaff||Tough Tiz's Sis||7th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Indian Blessing||1st|
| ||Sprint||Midnight Lute||1st|
|2008||Filly & Mare Sprint||Indian Blessing||2nd|
| ||Sprint||Midnight Lute||1st|
| ||Juvenile||Lookin at Lucky||2nd|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Always a Princess||5th|
|2010||Classic||Lookin at Lucky||4th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||AZ Warrior||12th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Gabby's Golden Girl||10th|
|2011||Classic||Game On Dude||2nd|
| ||Dirt Mile||Irrefutable||9th|
| ||Dirt Mile||The Factor||8th|
| ||Filly & Mare Sprint||Irish Gypsy||8th|
| ||Ladies' Classic||Plum Pretty||5th|
|2012||Classic||Game on Dude||7th|
| ||Dirt Mile||Fed Biz||8th|
| ||Juvenile||Power Broker||5th|
| ||Juvenile||Title Contender||8th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Executiveprivilege||2nd|
| ||Sprint||Capital Account||12th|
| ||Sprint||Fast Bullet||6th|
Biographies on jockeys, trainers and owners are from the Breeders' Cup World Championships events from 2001 through 2009, and are intended as informational resources. Biographies will be updated if an individual is again a participant in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Biographies are available for most horses appearing in the top 100 money earnings list, and/or for those who are frequently making headlines in the news starting with the 2006 Triple Crown season.