Search the NTRA.com biography database for complete bio listings:
NOTE: Stats include North American and selected international races. Click here to view selected international race list.
Stats Updated Through: 3/4/2010
|Win % (In-The-Money %)|
Biography and Highlights:
- Born: Aug. 30, 1940 in St. Louis.
- Residence: Century City, Calif., in Los Angeles.
- Family: wife Ellen.
- Owns 2-year-old Rolling Fog, who won the 2012 Del Mar Futurity (G1) on the day the Zetchers celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary. Prior to the Futurity, Rolling Fog had only started once, winning a maiden race by 2-1/4 lengths. Zetcher bought the colt, who will not start again in 2012 after bucking shins, for $62,000 at the Ocala Breeders’ Sales Company April 2-year-old sale.
- Owns and bred 2012 Oceanside Stakes winner Midnight Crooner as well as campaigns Derby Gold, winner of the 2012 Echo Eddie Stakes, and Liaison, winner of the 2011 CashCall Futurity (G1), second in the 2012 Affirmed H. (G3), third in the 2012 Swaps S. (G2) and Jim Dandy S. (G2), and sixth in the 2012 Kentucky Derby (G1).
- At the 2012 Keeneland yearling sale, Zetcher paid $180,000 for a filly from the first crop of Zensational out of Seattle Shimmer, the dam of stakes-placed Sway Away.
- With most of his horses in trainer Bob Baffert’s barn, Zetcher has won such races as the 2011 Santa Anita Derby (G1) with Midnight Interlude, 2009 Pacific Classic (G1) with Richard’s Kid, and 2009 Acorn S. (G1) and 2010 Santa Monica H. (G1) with Gabby’s Golden Gal.
- Zetcher bred Gabby’s Golden Gal and stakes winner Always a Princess from Gabriellina Geof, his first stakes winner, who won the 2001 Manhattan Beach Stakes at Hollywood Park.
- While the world wanted a match between superstars Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra in 2010, which never materialized, Zetcher’s Zardana defeated Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra in the New Orleans Ladies Stakes. John Shirreffs trained Zenyatta and Zardana.
- Started owning horses in 2000 with Hall of Famer Ron McAnally as his only trainer. In 2008, decided to change his racing focus to younger horses and moved his horses to Baffert.
- Fairly Ransom became Zetcher’s first graded stakes winner in the 2003 Del Mar Derby (G2). House of Fortune won the Fantasy Stakes (G2) and Hollywood Oaks (G2) in 2004. Other stakes winners have included E Z’s Gentleman, winner of the Triple Bend Handicap (G1); El Brujo, winner of the Pat O’Brien Stakes (G1); and Wynning Ride, winner of the Iowa Distaff at Prairie Meadows.
- Other top runners include Alozaina, Andina, Fast and Furious, Good Student, Nicobar and Private Banking. In his first Breeders’ Cup World Championships venture, Zetcher’s stakes winner Tizzy’s Tune finished fifth in the 2008 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint. In 2009 Breeders’ Cup races, Zetcher finished fifth in the Juvenile Fillies with Always A Princess and sixth in the Classic with Richard’s Kid.
- Owns 39 thoroughbreds, 19 in training in Southern California. Most are with Bob Baffert; three are with Ben Cecil. Has nine broodmares at Winter Quarter Farm in Lexington, Ky.: Always a Princess, Zardana, Wynning Ride, Andina, Midnight Kiss, House of Fortune, Tizzy’s Tune, Alozaina and Private Banking.
- Says he expects to expand his breeding operation as time goes on, planning on mixing homebreds with sales choices in the future.
- Former chairman of Thoroughbred Owners of California. Zetcher became a racing fan when he went to Cahokia Downs during the years he attended Washington University in St. Louis. He later saw the great Buckpasser and Secretariat at Arlington Park in Chicago. He recalls buying a winning ticket on Secretariat and keeping it as a souvenir. Told the Thoroughbred Times that racing has made him “a better person,” inasmuch as prior to entering the sport he had no hobbies, just a passion for business “and this is a great getaway.”
- Longtime executive in the women’s apparel industry ... Former chairman, president and chief executive officer of Talbots, manufacturer and retailer of upscale professional women’s wear, headquartered in Hingham, Mass. ... Retired as president and CEO in Sept. 2007 and as chairman of the board in March 2008 ... During his tenure, the company reached the status of international clothing giant ... Prior to becoming Talbots’ president in 1987, worked with Federated Department Stores in Cincinnati, Bonwit Teller in New York City, Kohl’s Food stores in Wisconsin and Illinois and John Breuner Company in San Francisco ... Was awarded the National Retail Federation’s 2002 Gold Medal, the industry’s highest honor ... Also recognized by BusinessWeek as one of the top 25 managers of the year in 2000 ... Serves as chairman of the National Retail Federation Foundation, which is involved in educational endeavors, especially in retail matters.
Breeders' Cup Record
|2008||Filly & Mare Sprint||Tizzy's Tune||5th|
| ||Juvenile Fillies||Always a Princess||5th|
|2010||Filly & Mare Sprint||Gabby's Golden Gal||10th|
Biographies on jockeys, trainers and owners are from the Breeders' Cup World Championships events from 2001 through 2009, and are intended as informational resources. Biographies will be updated if an individual is again a participant in the Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Biographies are available for most horses appearing in the top 100 money earnings list, and/or for those who are frequently making headlines in the news starting with the 2006 Triple Crown season.